• Welcome to the Rezl Life Community

A place where we can share ideas, information and experiences.

Rezl is a smartphone app designed to increase resilience in all of us. Visit www.rezl.com.

Depression and Low Mood

niki

Staff member
Each year one is six adults in the UK are being prescribed antidepressants, yet mindfulness is just as effective, and research shows that it can help people to give up the antidepressants without increasing their chance of a relapse. I found apiece from Psychology Today which suggests that Mindfulness (MBCT) training can assist patients who wish to avoid antidepressants and even better, it can help those who wish to give up the antidepressants (here). In fact, the UK’s NHS says that Mindfulness (MBCT) is “as good as drugs for preventing depression relapse”. Here's a quote from the rezl.com website that I like:
We can imagine our thoughts and emotions as a river rushing through a stretch of rapids –and we may find ourselves being tossed around… and pulled under or hitting rocks… yet ‘mindfulness’ is like being able to stand on the edge of the river bank and watch the currents and eddies within the river… without becoming overwhelmed …or starting to panic.
The problem with conditions like stress, anxiety and depression is that when people experience such an episode they establish “thought pathways” that spiral downwards… …and then, in the future, when they encounter another “trigger” situation, they slide down the same pathway reinforcing it… and so on, making further episodes more and more likely. The way out is to build up our resilience through mindfulness to that we are able to deal with triggers and so we are able to observe our emotions without immediately responding to them - so that our feelings can dilute. In this way we can break this cycle.
Please take you time to work through the Rezl Mindfulness for Resilience programme. You should also get out and enjoy natural light and avoid addictive behaviours.
So how are you? ... and have you found any ways to improve your mood? Please share you experiences here.

Last edited:

katy

Each year one is six adults in the UK are being prescribed antidepressants, yet mindfulness is just as effective, and research shows that it can help people to give up the antidepressants without increasing their chance of a relapse. I found this piece from Psychology Today suggests that Mindfulness (MBCT) training can assist patients who wish to avoid antidepressants and even better, it can help those who wish to give up the antidepressants (here). In fact, the UK’s NHS says that Mindfulness (MBCT) is “as good as drugs for preventing depression relapse”. Here a quote for the rezl.com website that I like:
We can imagine our thoughts and emotions as a river rushing through a stretch of rapids –and we may find ourselves being tossed around… and pulled under or hitting rocks… yet ‘mindfulness’ is like being able to stand on the edge of the river bank and watch the currents and eddies within the river… without becoming overwhelmed …or starting to panic.
The problem with conditions like stress, anxiety and depression is that when people experience such an episode they establish “thought pathways” that spiral downwards… …and then, in the future, when they encounter another “trigger” situation, they slide down the same pathway reinforcing it… and so on, making further episodes more and more likely. The way out is to build up our resilience through mindfulness to that we are able to deal with trigger and we are able to observe our emotions with out immediately responding to them - so that our feelings can dilute. In this way we can break this cycle.
Please take you time to work thought the rezl Mindfulness for Resilience programme. You should also get out and enjoy natural light ad avoid addictive behaviours.
So how are you? ... and have you find any ways to improve your mood? Please share you experiences here.
Hi Niki - I regularly feel very low at the moment. I have just got rezl and I am starting on the MBCT program. I will keep you posted.

seeker

I dug out some reaserch to show how effective MBCT is for people suffering depression or anxiety, It turnsout that that MBCT is shown to be as effective as prescription medications – in fact slightly more so – yet without the side-effects or the problems with withdrawal. Here are three papers looking at the effectiveness of MBCT for such conditions:

In this 2014 study by University of Sussex – titled “The effectiveness of self-help mindfulness based cognitive therapy in a student sample: a randomised controlled trial” and published in “Behaviour Research and Therapy” (Lever Taylor, Billie Lever, Strauss, Clara, Cavanagh, Kate and Jones, Fergal). The research investigated the effectiveness of self-help mindfulness-based cognitive therapy in a randomised controlled trial, measuring the impact on not only mental wellbeing, but also on life satisfaction, self-esteem and self-compassion (which is key In dealing with set back and challenges).
Results showed significant reductions in depressive, anxiety and stress symptom severityThere were also significant improvements in life satisfaction, mindfulness and self-compassion, with medium to large effects. Moreover, improvements for participants were maintained at a ten-week follow-up.” http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/id/eprint/57138/1/Self-help MBCT (accepted pre-proofs).pdf

From the Journal Consulting and Clinical Psychology (April 2010) “The Effect of Mindfulness-Based Therapy on Anxiety and Depression: A Meta-Analytic Review” (by Stefan G. Hofmann, Alice T. Sawyer, Ashley A. Witt, and Diana Oh). This review of many MBCT trials showed that improvements on depression scores and anxiety scores were robust and significant; both for those with the conditions and for those without these conditions. – i.e. Even for those who were not suffering from depression or anxiety their mood was raised and worry was lowered – it’s not about a return to the normal – it is an elevation in mood and ability to avoid worry. The researchers said that “[MBCT] improves symptoms of anxiety and depression across a relatively wide range of severity.” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2848393/

I posted these so that every one should feel very positive about the time they invest in working though the MBCT programme.

rosa

Hi Niki - I regularly feel very low at the moment. I have just got rezl and I am starting on the MBCT program. I will keep you posted.
Katy - you are doing the right thing. I have quite a few years of meditation and yoga - and I know that it will help you to avoid negative thoughts and improve your self esteem. For what it's worth I think the Rezl tutorials and mediation are right on the money so stay with them and you will learn to avoid being pull down by triggers and set backs. Rx