• Welcome to the Rezl Life Community

A place where we can share ideas, information and experiences.

Rezl is a smartphone app designed to increase resilience in all of us. Visit www.rezl.com.

What is our resilience? and what is MBCT?

eva

Resilience is defined by the American Psychological Association: “Resilience is the process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats or significant sources of stress — such as family and relationship problems, serious health problems or workplace and financial stresses. It means ‘bouncing back’ from difficult experiences.”

It’s as if each of us has a kind of ‘tank of resilience’ inside ourselves – and as we encounter challenges this resilience is used up – so that when we are ‘on empty; we can no longer cope with setbacks… and that’s when we start to experience mental health issues.

R
esearch has shown that resilience is ordinary, not extraordinary. People commonly demonstrate resilience. Being resilient does not mean that a person doesn’t experience difficulty or distress. Emotional pain and sadness are common in people who have suffered major adversity or trauma in their lives. However, resilience involves behaviours, thoughts and actions that can be learned and developed in anyone.

Mindfulness Builds Resilience - Mindfulness is a skill to improve resilience, which allows people to deal with stresses, emotions and triggers which can cause and perpetuate episodes of anxiety and depression. Mindfulness employs meditation and practice to enable us to be aware of our thoughts in an objective, non-judgemental way – so we are able to manage our feelings and emotions. This empowers us through a real sense of control, so that we build confidence and self-esteem. In this way we become more resilient.

Evidence has shown that mindfulness really can make a significant difference to those with anxiety or depression (or both) … or those having problems related to stress… yet it can also improve the resilience within all of us, enabling each of us to be better at dealing with stress, setbacks and challenges.

The Rezl app uses Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) to build resilience… and more. MBCT was developed at the universities of Massachusetts and Oxford. The makers of Rezl chose to work with MBCT for two big reasons: – 1. It is a formalised, eight-step programme, as we knew that many people using mindfulness apps find them a little open-ended, While these apps are relaxing they can lack a sense of progress; and 2. The impacts of MBCT have been extremely well researched over the last 25 years. It was clear that the benefits were very significant.

katy

I' a new mum - a sinlge mum. Sounds like I need some resilience. How quickly will I notice a difference?

fiona

I' a new mum - a sinlge mum. Sounds like I need some resilience. How quickly will I notice a difference?
I used it each day (doing a couple of sessions) and after about a week I noticed two things: first I felt a light mood after using rezl; and second, I am more able to calm myself when I feel panicky... so things don't spiral down. Keep going! Also... I fall asleep before the "best sleep meditation" (in toolbox) finishes - that's better than lying awake worrying.